Queensland residents are being urged to not light any fires due to a heat wave that is hitting much of the state.
Real estate in Rockhampton could be under threat if locals ignore this warning – that's the message from the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS).
Reported in The Morning Bulletin, authorities are cautioning that extreme temperatures could be a catalyst for disaster, according to QFRS central region rural operations manager Brian Smith.
Mr Smith warned: "Don't light fires as conditions are far too dangerous.
"If you have completed hazard reduction burns recently, or had any fires on your property, make sure the fire is completely out so the wind does not pick up embers and cause fires to spread further."
Residents are being advised to trim back any long branches, clear gutters of any leaves and generally inspect their properties for fire risks.
People have also been told to be vigilant against starting fires accidentally – don't throw cigarette butts out the car window and make sure heavy machinery isn't throwing off sparks.
Authorities are saying that in order to combat fires – prevention is the first and most important key. In addition to this, locals are urged to call 000 if they see an unattended burn.